The Young Researchers Group (YRG)
The Young Researchers Group (YRG)
In December 2017, the European Banking Institute established the Young Researchers Group for PhD researchers of European universities on the initiative of Lynette Janssen (Leiden University) and Agnieszka Smoleńska (European University Institute). YRG is supported by EBI Academic Board Members Profs. Matthias Haentjens and Ignacio Tirado.
The YRG is an inter-disciplinary and international platform for exchange and mutual learning for early stage researchers in the rapidly developing area of banking law and policy. Under the wings of the EBI, the YRG conducts research, promotes debate and dialogue between young researchers in relation to issues concerning regulation and supervision of financial institutions and financial markets. Specific projects undertaken by the YRG Members include PhD Workshops organised in cooperation with EBI, support of EBI’s Workstreams and EBI Newsletter (María Cecilia del Barrio Arleo and Carlos Bosque) and the Virtual Workshop sessions since 2020 (Lukas Böffel).
Members YRG – Cohort 2019-2021
Ioannis Asimakopoulos (University of Luxembourg), Alessio Azzutti (University of Hamburg), Maria Ana Barata (European University Institute), Lukas Böffel (Free University Berlin), Carlos Bosque (University of Madrid), Evariest Callens (Ghent University), María Cecilia Del Barrio Arleo (University of Trento), Tsany Tarna Dewi (University of Luxembourg), Elena Ghibellini (University of Bologna), Petja Ivanova (Heidelberg University), Roderic Kermarec (University of Oxford), Lukas Koehler (University of Munich), Pier Mario Lupinu (University of Luxembourg), Edoardo Martino (University of Rotterdam), Katarzyna Parchimowicz (University of Wroclaw), Francesca Pellegrini (University of Bologna), Promitheas Peridis (European University Institute), Jonas Schürger (University of Bonn), Agnieszka Smoleńska (European University Institute), Ross Spence (Leiden Law School), Jouke Tegelaar (Leiden University), Anna Camilla Visconti (University of Pescara).
Events organised by the EBI YRG
Members of the YRG of the EBI have the opportunity to present their research during several events a year, to meet scholars, regulators and industry representatives, to discuss their research with them, to organise events and to publish research papers with the EBI.
17 June 2020, 3rd EBI YRG Virtual Workshop Session: Squaring monetary solidarity and responsibility in the post-Covid-19 crisis: Legitimacy concerns and institutional challenges - by Cecilia del Barrio Arleo, Ph.D. (University of Trento) (without a PowerPoint presentation)
- 20 May 2020, 2nd EBI Virtual Workshop Session: The PSPP judgement by the German Constitutional Court from a constitutional perspective, Jonas Schürger (2020) (Bonn University)
- 16 April 2020, 1st EBI YRG Virtual Workshop Session No. 1: Perspectives on insurance group supervision, Lukas Böffel (2020) (Free University Berlin)
- 21 February 2020, 2nd EBI Young Researchers Annual Workshop on Banking and Financial Regulation (2020), Goethe University (Frankfurt am Main, Germany)
- 5 July 2019, Major trends in Banking Union and Capital Markets Union (2019), PhD Workshop, CIRSF and Faculdade de Direito da Universidade de Lisboa (FDUL) (Lisbon, Portugal) – with publication.
- 22-23 February 2019, 1st EBI Young Researchers Annual Workshop on Banking and Financial Regulation (2019) Goethe University (Frankfurt am Main, Germany)
- 17 November 2018, Bridging the Gaps in EU Financial Regulation (2018) Joint Young Scholars Seminar of EURO-CEFG, the University of Warsaw, the University of Wrocław and the Young Researcher Group of the European Banking Institute (EBI) (Warsaw, Poland)
- 7 June 2018, Building the Banking Union: the challenges ahead (2018), PhD Workshop, CIRSF and Faculdade de Direito da Universidade de Lisboa (FDUL) (Lisbon, Portugal)
If you would like to apply to become a member, please contact Claudia Collins (firstname.lastname@example.org) for the application form. Kindly note that the application cut-off date for the next intake is 1 June 2021. The EBI YRG Programme is reserved to PhD students who are currently enrolled in a university officially recognised by an EEA country public authority and who are researching on banking regulation and supervision or any other area which is or will be part of the EBI YRG Programme. The EBI Academic Board decides on the admittance of participants.